Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Questions

From: Mike Shaw <mshaw () wwisp com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:34:42 -0500

At 08:23 AM 6/20/2002 -0400, Sandy Martin wrote:
First, after looking through the rules, I noticed a wide variety of rules
for a cross section of platforms. I understand that they were written that
way on purpose. My question is, is it ok to go through and edit these rules
to remove all of the *nix related stuff? Our network is composed of 20
nodes. All Windows 2000 with 1 Windows 2000 Server. The server is a DC but
not a web/mail, etc. server. So, I was thinking that to improve performance
and reduce false positives, I could go through and edit the rules leaving
only the Win32 stuff in. Is this a good route to go?

I like to keep some of those non-applicable rules running, as they can give insight into what people are trying (really noisy scanners, etc).

-Mike