Snort mailing list archives

Re: TCP ******S* portscan

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:07:47 -0500

Is the IP tables firewall running on a machine which is up-stream of snort (not on the same box or somewhere downstream)?

Just because your webserver filters packets doesn't mean snort running on your webserver, or some other machine, won't see them. Snort captures at the ethernet level, before iptables/ipchains/ipf filtering happens, which is also why it sees traffic not addressed to the machine it runs on. I run snort on a box which has an IPF rule to deny *everything* on that interface and snort picks up traffic going by just fine.

So, unless your snort is running downstream of the iptables firewall, don't worry, this is normal for snort to see. If snort is downstream, i.e. you have a computer with 2 ethernet interfaces using iptables prior to routing between them and snort is on the "inside" of that router, well, your iptables aren't doing what you expect.

In either event, it does mean that 195.186.255.2 did a sequential tcp portscan on your webserver.