Snort mailing list archives

Message: 5 - What's the best setup

From: "Joe Pampel" <joe () ardsley com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:51:39 -0400

If it was me, and policy would allow...

I would monitor the port that the border router is on. You're not
"in between" anything this way.. parallel really. I don't think there is al
 ot to be gained from monitoring all the servers individually or from the
possible downside of trying to mirror many ports at once. For example,
I just monitor the ports where my firewalls hit their switches.. point being find
the "choke" point and monitor that. Hopefully they will let you do that.

If HR or whoever has policy issues, write your rulebase to ignore any hosts
they have issues with and perhaps submit your snort.conf for eval every month
or each quarter or whatever makes them happy that you're not going
KGB on them.. or give them an ACID login so they can see for themselves you
are not detecting the porn they download.. ;-)

if you can't trust the security guy, you have IMHO
some other organizational issues there.. ;-)  Good luck!!

hth

Joe

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com