Snort mailing list archives

Re: SMTP Virus Gateway

From: Joe Matusiewicz <joem () nist gov>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:34:04 -0400

At 12:04 PM 6/14/02, Joshua James wrote:
On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 11:39, Madziarczyk, Jonathan wrote:
> Hey all,
 I'm trying to find something that works
> on both straight SMTP (unix and listservs) and ESMTP (Exchange). So what do
> the experts (you) recommend?

NOT Norton AntiVirus gateway. I can't speak for anything except the
version I use but if the company handles any other version the same way
I'd stay away. Both SirCam and Klez come right through. I already had to
upgrade once for SirCam, I'm not doing it again. I need to find a new
product as well.

We dumped Norton Antivirus for Firewalls a year ago because I found it would pass every virus that was sent with binhex encoding (I always keep meaning to write to bugtraq on that). Currently we use TrendMicro's product and seems to work fine. I even set it to stop the KakWorm virus which is in the body of the email.

-- Joe