Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and the Windows Family...

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:57:32 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Benoit Clarembeau wrote:

Here is my problem: I have installed Snort 1.8.2 (running under Windows 2000
Server) + Winpcap 2.2 + Mysql + PHP + acid as described on Silicon Defense
Website. I have exactly followed all the instructions. I have 3 PC's plugged
into a hub:

-------------------------------
|           HUB               |
-------------------------------
 +            +           +
 +            +           +
 +            +           +
Snort        PC1         PC2

Snort can just see the packets if he's the IP source or destination, not the
traffic between PC1 and PC2... It's strange because I have no problem with
another little network with the same configuration, but in this one Snort is
running under Windows XP... Where is the problem? What can I do? I can't
find what is bad with this config...

Just a guess, but this is a 10/100 autosensing hub isn't it?  One of those
cards is 10mb only and the other one is a 10/100mb card...  If so:

http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#6.21

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy