Snort mailing list archives

Re: use of BPF in 1.8.7beta6 might be broken

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:44:53 -0400

"Michael Scheidell" <scheidell () secnap net> writes:

Might be two problems with bpf filter usage in snort 1.8.7beta6

Problem one (already reported)
HUP does not release the fd that opened the bpf filter
check with lsof, one fd open for /usr/local/share/snort/snort.bpf

Seems to just be a missing close(fd) in read_infile, just committed,
see what do you see?

SIGHUP snort, two fds, same file.

SECOND PROBLEM:
doesn't work.
Yep, snort won't log anything except spp_stream4 stuff if I use a bpf
filter.

It seems to work just fine with a BPF filter here and just leaks the
FD on Linux. I'll try tommorrow on BSD and see what happens

do you get the same thing when you specify the pcap on the command line?

FREEBSD 4.5.
-*> Snort! <*-
Version 1.8.7beta6 (Build 121)

/usr/local/bin/snort -doDI -m 022 -z \
-F /usr/local/share/snort/snort.bpf \
-c /usr/local/etc/snort.conf -i rl0 -l /var/log/snort

remove the -F line, all is fine.
bpf file:
cat /usr/local/share/snort/snort.bpf
not src host 10.1.1.10

--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
"I'm beginning to think that my router may be confused."