Snort mailing list archives

AW: [Snorting 2 NICs]

From: "Poppi, Sandro" <Sandro.Poppi () wacker com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:44:16 +0200

You should be able to simply install another Snort instance.
Instances can share conf and rules files, but not the binary
as far as I am aware.  Just do "cp snort snort2" and call
snort2 for the second instance.

Sorry that I have to protest here ;) but you can run a lot of snort
instances with the same binary, as you can with any other binary. I have 5
snort instances running on one host without requireing to copy the binary.

I also created a script to start snort on more than one interface. If
interested take a look at
http://www.lug-burghausen.org/projects/index.html#snort-stat

Greetings Group,

I have Snort running into MySQL. I use ACID to view alerts.
Snort works fine
when started as: snort -c /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf -i
eth0 -D but this
is my internal interface. When fired up for eth1 (IP address
ppp0) I get this
in /var/log/messages:

WARNING: OpenPcap() device eth1 network lookup: ^Ieth1: no
Ipv4 address
assigned
Initializing daemon mode
WARNING: OpenPcap() device eth1 network lookup: ^Ieth1: no
Ipv4 address
assigned
PID stat checked out ok, PID set to /var/run
Writing PID file to "/var/run"
Snort initialization completed successfully, Snort running

Don't care about the warning, you defined eth1 to be a stealth interface so
that's ok.

Obviously Snort sees no traffic whatsoever. Is there anyway
to initialize
Snort with two sensors, eth0 and ppp0?

See link above

This is on a tutorial HOME_NET, with a Linux gateway machine
and two other
boxes inside, one Linux and one Win. I'd like to continue
monitoring the
internal due to the Win box. I have mulled over the excellent
documentation
for setting the whole thing up, thanks to everyone involved.
I just haven't
found an answer to this type of setup yet.

HTH,
Sandro