Snort mailing list archives

1.8.6 problem: Misdetection and hangup

From: Jesus Couto <jesus.couto () satec es>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 15:37:50 +0200

Hi,

This is the setup: A RH 7.2 machine running snort 1.8.6, 2 interfaces, the one we are listening to eth1 connected to a hub with another 2 machines, 192.168.100.1 (the "attacker") and 192.168.100.3 (the "victim").

Problem: Launching some simple portscanning attacks like

   nmap -sT -p 1-40000 -r 192.168.100.3

from the attacker machine gets reported as "MISC source route lssr" by snort in IDS mode, and after reporting the first 3000-4000 events, snort hangs completly.

Not only the packets dont have the lssr option anywhere, as checked by using Ethereal, but snort in sniffer mode also shows them to be without options, and the logging of the packets by snort at the ACID console shows the packet having a few other options (TS) but nothing about source routing.

Any ideas? If more info is needed to debug it just tell me what you need.

Jesus Couto F.