Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple IP (ethernet switches vs hubs)

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 15:42:20 -0400

HOME_NET [ip1/32, ip2/32] is the proper format for 2 ip addresses (note the addition of the /32 netmask). If you want to do a whole subnet, change the /32 to the appropriate netmask size.

As far as the switched ethernet goes, if you're using an ethernet switch instead of a hub on your network your snort box will not see the traffic being sent to other machines. An ethernet switch is a somewhat intelligent version of a hub that automatically builds tables of what MAC addresses are on each port, based on past traffic. When a normal unicast packet comes into a switch, it will only go out the one port which has that machine connected to it. This greatly reduces collisions and improves network performance.

Thus a snort sensor on a different switch will not be able to see most traffic bound for other machines on other switch ports. A hub on the other hand echoes traffic to all of its outbound ports, so the snort machine will see traffic bound for it's neighbors, but that increases collisions and reduces network performance.

I've mentioned on the list before that I use a setup like the one below to monitor all traffic to-and-from the internet on my network and should work well for any less-than 3mbit/sec internet connection. I'm using fairly conservative numbers so that the 10mbit hub is no problem, any more than 3mbit in both directions simultaneously and the hub could get collision saturated depending on what's going on. It could also work very well up to 6-8mbit/sec if it's almost all going in one direction.

(internet router)

(10mbit hub)    ----  snort sensor

(ethernet switch)
  /   |   \
(various workstations)

If you have a faster line, use a 100mbit hub and that should carry up to 20-30mbit/sec in both directions, but make sure all the ports are set up with 100mbit links, don't rely on the "10/100 auto-switching" feature of some hubs. If you have a faster setup still, get a high-end switch with a mirror port, but if you're running a T3 or better you should already know this kind of equipment.