Snort mailing list archives

Re: Portscan not logging

From: ed <ed () esson net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 07:18:34 -0700 (PDT)

The site's not real busy, I used to see 3 or 4 scans a week...

I have been running it with mysql about 2 weeks.  It was working fine
outputting to logs.

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Mike Macias wrote:
output database: alert, mysql, user=snort password=***** dbname=snort
host=localhost
~and~
preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 portscan.log

Should the second line be changed to log them to the database as well or
should portscan detections go to the database based on the first line?

Nope.  It should go to your DB with just alert on.
Is your site busy?  How long have you been running it in this config.
without seeing any results?

Ed Kasky
Los Angeles, CA
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z.
Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
~ Albert Einstein