Snort mailing list archives

Rép. : Re: [Snort-users] running 2 instances of snort under Demarc

From: "Ronald Beaulieu" <rbeaulieu () justice gouv qc ca>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 07:04:53 -0400

Hello All,

They put a fix out for that last thursday, it is a patch for version 1.6 that also fixes installation problems when the
sensor is located behind a proxy server and that you choose to do an update of the binaries during the install.

Ronald.

<SkatFiend () aol com> 23/05/02 10h00 >>>
To all of you who may be interested I did inquire of Demarc and here is the
answer:

Question:

Win2K & Demarc v1.6 server, with a multi-homed box, how can I get Demarc to
run 2 instances of snort at the same time, one for each NIC interface both
writing to the local mysql database and reporting to Demarc

Response:

This is not possible with the current build due to the limitations of running
them as Windows services.  There will be an update build that will be
available on Friday that will allow you to do this though.  Please redownload
the program on Friday of this week and there will be instructions inside the
psd.conf (Sensor configuration file) on how to do accomplish this.

I talked to demarc a little while back and they said that they are thinking
about finding a way to be able to have demarc start up snort on 2 interfaces.
If you want to watch all interfaces, you can start one instance of snort with
out a -i option (or is it -i any) and snort will bind to all interfaces.

I would send demarc an email and see what they have done.

Ian