Snort mailing list archives

Re: Excluding $HOME_NET -> $HOME_NET Alerts

From: Ed Kasky <ed () esson net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 19:41:29 -0700

At 10:20 AM Monday, 5/20/2002, Michael Boman wrote -=>
On Monday 20 May 2002 10:00, Ed Kasky wrote:
> Is there a way to disable certain alerts from any home_net host to another
> home_net host?  I back up my web server over the wire to a tape machine and
> get flooded with "Shellcode X86 Noop" alerts whenever I run it.  I also get
> a lot of "WEB-MISC long basic authorization string" alerts using acid to
> view alerts in a mysql database.
>
> I was under the impression that "alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET"
> took care of this.
>
>  From my snort.conf:
> var HOME_NET 10.0.0.0/24

And I bet you have:

var EXTERNAL_NET any

Good guess...

that matches any address, including those in HOME_NET. why not set
EXTERNAL_NET to !$HOME_NET (everything BUT HOME_NET). This would how ever
limit the ability to catch insiders....

I see what you mean if I change it in snort.conf.

Will this work in an individual rule:
"alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET -> $HOME_NET"

Or can I even make it more specific to exclude the one ip address that is causing the specific alert when backing up?
"alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET !10.0.0.3 -> $HOME_NET"

Ed Kasky
Los Angeles, CA
~ The only thing infinite is our capacity for self-deception. ~