Snort mailing list archives

Don't see traffic unless have IP

From: "Jhumri Tilayia" <tilayia () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:44:29 -0400

Hello,

I am mirroring traffic on a Cisco switch to the port where the Snort box is hanging off of. The interface on the Snort box has no IP address. The problem is that Snort does not see any traffic if that interface does not have an IP assigned to it. As soon as I assign any random IP to it it works just fine.

Is it a known issue with Snort or does it sound like something to do with the switch (Cisco 6500) we are using ?

Also, is it possible to use a port that sees all the mirrored traffic as a source port (i.e. can I connect to the interface hanging off of that port ?)

Thanks.