Snort mailing list archives

Re: daemon consuming 100% memory

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:44:09 -0400

Well, lets see here. a quick rough guide:

1) if you aren't running snort 1.8.6 or better, download and install that. from the release notes:
                * Fixed stream4 several low memory conditions
2) if you have little memory in your system, either buy more ram, or shut down unnecessary garbage that a snort sensor doesn't need (ie: xwindows).
3) trim down your ruleset.

If that's not enough info, I agree with Chris:
>how much memory do you have, what snort version, what configuration options?

Without that information it's impossible to make any kind of reasonable estimate of where your problem lies, only broad generalizations.