Snort mailing list archives

AW: [Barnyard-users] NIDS newbie question

From: "Poppi, Sandro" <Sandro.Poppi () wacker com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 07:40:13 +0200

Hi,

for me it seems you are using either an older version of snort or barnyard.
I'm using barnyard from cvs (Version 0.1.0-dev Build 7) and snort-current
(Version 1.8.7beta1 Build 113), with that config I do get the correct values
in ACID (although log_dump and alert_html seem not to work for me).

HTH,
Sandro

hi all!

i'm a newbie in NIDS, so sorry if this question have already
been asked. i
successfully installed snort together with barnyard.
i am using the unified log ouput on snort and barnyard successfully
converted it to readable format, however, the ip addresses on
the alert
logfile generated by barnyard were in reversed format. see below:
----------
05/10/02-10:54:26.660798  {ICMP} 11.0.168.192 -> 11.0.0.10
[**] [1:376:4] ICMP PING Microsoft Windows [**]
[Classification: Misc activity] [Priority: 3]
[Xref => http://www.whitehats.com/info/IDS159]
----------

how do i forced either snort or barnyard to log those ip addresses in
correct format? i am also running a perl script (guardian)
that collects
ip addresses on the alert logfile for dynamic blocking of offending ip
address on our firewall.
any inputs or suggestions would be appreciated.

tia

concordio m. pajayat, jr.
open source technology enthusiast
pilipino internet, inc.
conpaj at PILNET dot COM

[  Sent through PILNET WebMail System - http://webmail.pilnet.com/  ]
[  "Go beyond the quest for information!"  -
http://www.pilnet.com/   ]