Snort mailing list archives

Re: running a script when a match is found

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 07 May 2002 21:50:34 -0500

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 11:13, Michael Boman wrote:
On Tuesday 07 May 2002 22:23, Lookman Fazal wrote:
Now what I want to do is, when it writes the sender's IP address in this
/var/log/snort directory, I want to, at the same time run a script,
which will take the sender's IP address and telnet to my router and add
an access-list to deny this sender. How do I invoke a script in snort
when a pattern matches?

Is there a way to do this?  Any help will be greatly appreciated

--Fazal

I haven't tries this myself, but why not try out SnortSam(.net) that can
re-configure firewalls and routers.

Hey Mike,

long time no chat. Yes, you can use SnortSam. If the router in question
is a Cisco router, that plugin is already available (although still in
beta). If you need to run other routers/script, you could use the fwexec
method which calls a script/binary with certain parameters. I know of at
least one guy doing this. I was thinking about adding a generic script
plugin, but fwexec seems to work fine.

Later,
Frank