Snort mailing list archives

Re: registered services

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 20:26:49 -0700

Wow!

I've just taken a really quick look, but Bravo!

Excellent work!

- John
--
In those days, you could not buy a $2000 200MHz Pentium server.

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 06:24:57PM -0700, Andrew Daviel wrote:

Most of you are aware of the IANA list of registered IP ports
and services, at http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
Much of this information pre-dates the Web, and the list
contains no hyperlinks, only a name and email address.

A few weeks ago I had the crazy(?) idea to mail registrants
and ask them for URLs and information on their protocols.
As might be expected, there were a large (more than half) number of
broken addresses, but the response from those that were still valid was
overwhelming (thank you everyone!) and I realized that I couldn't
handle all the information in a reasonable time frame, so mailed again
asking people to fill in a simple form. (I guess I should have done this
to start with but it seemed more polite to ask, rather than
saying "go to http://foo.bar and fill it in!")

Anyhow, there are a lot of results back which I had said in the mailout
that I would make public (which was the whole point of the exercise).
They are at http://andrew.triumf.ca/ports2/ with a (somewhat haphazard)
lookup script at http://andrew.triumf.ca/cgi-bin/port/ (which also
searches some lists of trojans etc.).

A couple of notes:

IANA now has a template for registrants to update their contact
information - please do so if you are a registrant (or know of one).
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mod_portno.pl

IANA has been collecting technical information from new  registrants, but
it hasn't been flagged as open/proprietary, so they have (rightly) been
treating it as proprietary, to the surprise of a few open protocol
registrants.

http://andrew.triumf.ca/ports2/ was populated from the submission form,
while http://andrew.triumf.ca/ports/ was populated by hand from
various sources and from the first few dozen replies to the first mailout.
I should probably merge them. The script searches both.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376