Snort mailing list archives

RE: Alerting Snort (sending alert through pager)

From: Alwin Raymundo <alrayworld () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 05:18:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jeff,

I'm using redhat 7.0 on my snort but the logging
facility that I setup was mysql and binary.

Logging all alerts to mysql is another linux box which
is internal (intranet).  The binary is log through
snort box /var/log/snort

It is possible that you have a third logging options
like in syslog?.

your quick response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

From: Alwin Raymundo [mailto:alrayworld () yahoo com]
Hi Jeff,

Hello Alwin...

I'm reading your response regarding the "Alerting
snort using swatch".  Im very interested regarding
sending an email or page to my RIM.

I look at the snort FAQ but I cant find detailed
information regarding ATTACK RESPONSE I know this
alert will not create a false positive alert.
             ^^^
Well, I wouldn't go that far...I've had a *few*
(luckily not at 2:00 am, yet
;-), but I am willing to live with this..

Can you give me some direction or some sort of how
to.

If you are thinking about swatch as a solution and
it's not the only one,
check-out...

http://www.oit.ucsb.edu/~eta/swatch/

http://rr.sans.org/sysadmin/swatch.php

http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/swatch.html

http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/implementations/i042.01.html

 Do I need to add some parameters to
attack-response.rules?

Nope.  Swatch will monitor your syslog entries
looking for entries that you
define.  If it makes a match it will react as you
instruct it to, i.e.
e-mail your pager.  Which means you need to be
logging Snort to syslog..

http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.5.1
, also check
your local man page for syslog and syslogd for
additional information (you
are running *nix I hope).

Side Note:.....I've seen too many people using
commercial NIDS getting
paged/e-mail on all sorts of attack stimulus (I
think this is why e-mail
filters where created).  And why, does attack
stimulus == compromise? not
quite.  Well then, does response == compromise?
maybe.  In short, response
to stimulus is either black or white, it's is either
what you expected or it
isn't.  And it's the unexpected we need to be
concerned with...

Well have to go...My pager just went off ;-)

Hope this helps,

- Jeff

=====
Alwin Raymundo