Snort mailing list archives

Re: BUG in stream4 reassemble

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 06:50:06 -0500

Peng Yong <ppyy () staff cn99 com> writes:

we use snort Version 1.8.4 (Build 99) to log all the POP3 packets of
our private network. and find there are some duplicate packet when
we enable stream4_reassemble.

Thats the way S4 reassemble works currently.  Perhaps we should always
flush the stream the sawe way we do on alerts if the packet is logged.

Anyway the way it works is aggregating several packets together and
forming a psuedo packet and sending that psuedo packet through the
detection engine.

In snort 2.0, that will be changed to a real byte stream

if we disable stream4_reassemble, it works ok.

the duplicate packet has a feture. The ID of Ip header is always 0. here
is a example:

04/01-16:54:22.995507 202.102.2.83:110 -> 192.168.0.99:2979
TCP TTL:240 TOS:0x10 ID:0 IpLen:20 DgmLen:174

is this a BUG of stream4_reassemble?

here is our snort.conf:

preprocessor frag2
preprocessor stream4: keepstats
preprocessor stream4_reassemble: both, ports 110
var MY_NET [192.168.0.0/24]
log tcp any 110 <> $MY_NET any

If this had been an alert, I don;t think you would have seen
reassembled packets so its  a bug with log in conjunction with stream
reassembly.

Although, if you are going to log everything on those ports, why are
you reassembling them? :-)
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
A watched process never cores.