Snort mailing list archives

Snort, Stream4 State and Ethernet Taps.

From: "larosa, vjay" <larosa_vjay () emc com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 00:50:22 -0400

Hello,

I was just thinking about something, If I have an ethernet full duplex 100
Mb link, and I insert an ethernet tap that splits
the full duplex link in to two half duplex streams, then run two seperate
instances of snort to monitor each half duplex link.
How will this affect the Stream 4 preprocessor with regards to TCP state? If
the initial syn goes out past one snort
process, the syn-ack comes back in past the second snort process and the
final ack in the TCP three way handshake
goes out past snort process 1 again. Will snort ignore this conversation now
and not pass on the packets for rules parsing becuase the handshake was not
seen entirely by one snort process? Or will Stream 4 assume bi-directional
flow is in play
on each process because process 1 saw the syn as well as the ack, and
process 2 saw a syn-ack?

Thanks!

vjl