Snort mailing list archives

RE: Fragments and stuff

From: "Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW)" <Paul.Sheahan () priceline com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:26:56 -0400

"what protection does snort have for detecting a signature that  has been
split over 2 packets....."
I believe the frag2 preprocessor should reassemble the fragments, then
analyze the resulting packet against the ruleset. Though if not all
fragments are received, then the packet can't be reassembled. Not sure how
Snort handles this?

"What do people consider fragmentation?..............."
When the MF bit is set, the packet is considered fragged.....