Snort mailing list archives

Re: problem logging to mysql database

From: Mike_Sands () elementk com
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 16:25:04 -0500

I have found that it works better if you use the ip of the machine rather
than localhost. Why this is I can't say but it fixed a similar issue with
my setup.

Mike Sands
Element K
'the knowledge catalyst'
www.elementk.com

|--------+--------------------------------------->
|        |          Omolayo Salako               |
|        |          <OSalako () corp goamerica net> |
|        |          Sent by:                     |
|        |          snort-users-admin@lists.sourc|
|        |          eforge.net                   |
|        |                                       |
|        |                                       |
|        |          04/01/2002 06:09 PM          |
|        |                                       |
|--------+--------------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |       To:     snort-users () lists sourceforge net, snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                  |
  |                                                                                                            |
  |       Subject:     [Snort-users] problem logging to mysql database                                         |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

i have been running snort for a while now , having it  log to syslog and
using swatch to monitor stuff, i needed something more granular and
scalable. therefore i decided to use mysql database using both demarc and
acid and later decide on which one i prefer. I have demarc running o.k and
acid running fine. But i have consistenly had problem with mysql, i have
flushed privileges and recreated database manytimes to no avail. I am
running mysql and snort on a multihomed server. could the problem be that
am
trying to access the database on localhost, Beacuse the error am getting is
something  like this " ACCESS DENIED, ACCESS FOR USER SNORT@LOCALHOST USING
PASSWORD YES FAILED. if so, since i only have one machine how do i access
the database from localhost or how does one go about solving this problem.
have tried this statement in mysql GRANT ALL on snort.* to snort@my_domain
identified by password XXXXXX, it still did not work. Also when i try to
log
in to demarc as anonymous i get the above error message, even though i have
edited the conf to allow anonmous user as admin. that makes me think my
problem is only with mysql. I plan to spend tonite reading MYSQL manual,
but
any help you from the list would be greatly appreciated.

Molayo Salako.   CISSP
Network Security Engineer
Goamerica communications
E:osalako () corp goamerica net

"imagination is more important than knowledge"   -Al Einstein