Snort mailing list archives

RE: third party utility to kill ...

From: "Ronneil Camara" <ronneilc () remingtonltd com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:23:52 -0600

Hi Matt,

Granted. So, what's your approach then?

-> -----Original Message-----
-> From: Matt Kettler [mailto:mkettler () evi-inc com]
-> Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 12:43 PM
-> To: Ronneil Camara; snort-users () lists sourceforge net
-> Subject: Re: [Snort-users] third party utility to kill ...
->
-> The snort FAQ describes why trying to invoke an external
-> process from an
-> IDS is a generally bad idea (hint: this creates a security
-> hole that allows
-> your IDS to be bypassed by causing it to waste so much time invoking
-> processes it starts missing packets.).
->
-> Read the faq:
->
-> http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#5.9
->
-> And yes, the FAQ mentions a bit about the speed of this on
-> windows, but
-> it's not acceptably fast to do in *nix either.
->