Snort mailing list archives

Re: portscan log...

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 06:42:45 -0800

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 06:45:46AM +0000, Edwin Pua wrote:

Hi Joe,

ok thanx for the explanation..but how am i gonna know that he was already
connected to my tcp port? or i was being attacked/hacked by this source ip?
i'm using the default rules in my snort box.

If all you ever see are SYN packets from that IP, he's never connected.

A finished connection is a SYN coming in to you, you sending an ACK/SYN back out to him, and him sending an ACK/SYN
back to you.

Only *then* is the connection established.

May I recommend "TCP/IP Illustrated, vol.1 WR Stevens, Addison-Wesley pubs..

..read that. It'll make a *lot* of stuff more understandable.

- John

--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?