Snort mailing list archives

RE: Output plugins -differences between loggingmethods?

From: Saad Kadhi <bsdguy () docisland org>
Date: 26 Jan 2002 13:08:10 +0100

On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 13:00, Bob Walder wrote:
Whilst we have had far too many questions that could have been answered by
RTFM recently, I do not believe this is one of them.
Generally I like ppl to do as I did/do/will forever be doing: do
homework (manpages, FAQ, documentation, list archives, usenet) then ask.
If I appeared as being harsh at this poster, so I apologize to every
single person who felt offended. What put me in "./configure --RTFM"
mode is the stupid HTML format we keep receiving in this mailing list.
My evolution mail client doesn't like it much nor do different
console-mode email clients I use to stroll thru mail quickly.

Read his original question carefully, the re-read that section of the FAQ
you quoted - it doesn't answer it.

He is asking "since both LOG and ALERT appear to be producing the same
output, why should I use both of them? Except, if I only use LOG then I will
miss port scans....but if I only use ALERT, will I get full packet
contents....? etc, etc, etc"
I saw that. I answered that way to give him hints as to where to look (I
ended the message w/ a URL to search the archives). Anyways, the quoted
snippet surely looks cryptic. At least, it breaks down his initial pb to
understand: what is the difference between an alert plugin & a log
plugin ? So here we have de-coupled the question from the
database/not-database problem. It then make sense if one tries both
(alert & log) one a time & output to a straight file for example to see
the real difference. But maybe I'm completely mistaken since I'm short
on grapefruits these days :p

A common question in my experience but not one I feel qualified to answer
succinctly

I hope no harm is done no one did take offense.

Regards,

Bob