Snort mailing list archives

Re: Minimize logging

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 08:28:30 -0700

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:17:54PM -0800, Rinaldi Montessi wrote:
Currently all outgoing traffic is being logged; e.g.
http, smtp, news etc.  I want to only log traffic
coming in.  This is a single user machine.  From what
I've read the way to do this is to add the following
to the /etc/snort/local.rules:

pass EXTERNAL_NET any -> any any # this is on eth1

Outgoing traffic from your single host would be:

  pass ip <your_host_address> any -> any any

where <your_host_address> would be something like

However, I'd just use the -F option and set a filter like:

  dst host <your_host_address>

  192.168.1.2

and forget the -o.

(I hope I got this one right...)

Later,

with a cable-modem connection

and add -o to the init script.

Is this correct?  I don't want to defeat the purpose
of the app.

Linux i686, 2.4.16 kernel, snort 1.8

Rinaldi

--