Snort mailing list archives

Re: generating snort rules automatically

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:43:51 -0500

I believe (although I am not 100% certain) that all of the current snort rules are human written, with perhaps the exception of some tools to assist format conversion, assigning SID's, filling in all the extra bits, etc.

That's why they have a separate snort mailing list devoted to signature development.

In many cases it does not take long to generate a crude signature for a particular new attack/exploit, and a couple rounds of people tweaking it generally leads to a pretty good signature.

It might be possible to write such a tool to automatically generate rules, but I'd venture to guess it would take more development time to get it working *reliably* than the entire set of current snort sigs took. That tool would certainly make snort itself look like a trivial piece of code, even with the various plugins included.

Something more practical might be a tool that took a series of "normal" tcpdump sessions and "diffed" them against an "attack" session, allowing a human to pick the parts of interest, but that would be of pretty limited value. If you've read an announcement for the vulnerability you likely already know what part of a sequence to be looking at.. ie: "xxx mailserver buffer overflow in RCPT TO:" is pretty straightforward.

I've written up a couple quick, crude ones based on announcements myself, and while not pretty, nor the most efficient possible, they aren't very hard. (and I'm just an amateur)

(large numbers of CC's removed, this was getting a bit long for my tastes)