Snort mailing list archives

(Snort-users) swatch/snort config

From: <sandro.poppi () wacker com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:57:00 +0100

Edwin

Hi Sandro,

  i have installed the swatch rpm package and other perl
dependent packages
with no error. i've made some changes in the
/etc/swatch/swatch.conf based
on your guideline.

  but i got an error mesg when i tried to run /usr/bin/swatch.

       swatch: cannot read /root/.swatchrc
       swatch: using default configuration of:
                  watchfor = /.*/
                  echo = random

you should use the command line option --config-file /etc/swatch/swatch.conf.
Take a look on the snortd script I wrote.

  btw, what is the purpose of swatch_old2newrc? is this the
program that
runs the swatch.conf?

No swatch.conf is read within swatch. From the swatch_old2newrc perl script:

"This program will convert an swatch version 2 configuration file
into a new style configuration file. I highly reccomend that you
examine the new file before using it."

Ciao,
Sandro