Snort mailing list archives

Re: basic command

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:19:31 -0800

Warrick:

I stand corrected!

I hadn't seen that syntax before, at least in the context of *starting* snort.

I *do* use that sort of tcpdump/BPF syntax a lot in reading back my -b binary log files...

I guess I have just one question: why do you want to start snort that way, rather than have it read from snort.conf and read from the rules that you can edit more at your leisure?

Is it that this method allow you to have a more selective filtering capability?

Does that advantage outweigh the complexity of the command line syntax versus the simplicity of binary logging everything, and extracting what you want later using -r and tcpdump/BPF syntax then?

- John

--
You can never have too many shells

Warrick FitzGerald wrote:

Paul Slinki explained that it is very similar to tcpdump i.e.,

snort -dev -l /root/snortlog2 -h 10.10.52.100/32 port 80

Does exactly what I want. I'm not sure exactly how much you can achieve on
the command line, but this certainly works to my needs.