Snort mailing list archives

Re: Performance questions

From: Saad Kadhi <bsdguy () docisland org>
Date: 19 Jan 2002 00:13:57 +0100

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 23:12, Lucas de Carvalho Ferreira - BMS wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to monitor a high traffic 100Mbs switch port with snort on a 433
MHz Celeron machine running Red Hat 7.2 but snort is dropping about 10% of
the packets, even if the CPU load is at an average of 70% (seen with top).
Is there any configuration tips for snort or for the Linux kernel to get
better performance? Could it be an I/O performance problem?
What kernel are you running ? how your RH is installed ? is it a minimal
install ? what type of network cards to you have ?
--
/Saad --  [bsdguy () docisland org]
[pgp keyid: 35592A6D http://pgp.mit.edu]