Snort mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: Saad Kadhi <bsdguy () docisland org>
Date: 15 Jan 2002 17:30:24 +0100

On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 16:29, charley pfaff wrote:
I am plannning on putting a snort IDS before and after my firewall. The
question is do I have to give the IDS outside one of our external IP's or
can I throw a dummy ip on it just to monitor traffic. Oh yeah just incase
you need to know it will be running rh7.1 hardened with NSA linux.
you don't need an IP at all. Just put your listening interface in
so-called promiscuous mode by "up"-ing that if: ifconfig ext_if up or
ifconfig ext_if 0.0.0.0 up. If you need to administer the snort boxen
from remote, put a second nic & hook it to a dedicated admin network for
example.

OT: sow how is NSA linux ?

--
/Saad --  [bsdguy () docisland org]