Snort mailing list archives

Re: Phil is coming out of the closet

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:12:27 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Phil Wood wrote:

I've actually have two "burnt offerings" at my "public" web site.  Never
before have I had this many things to share at one time.  The first is
my old friend:

  1. hog-vim.tar.gz, README, size: 12330, version: 1.9
     A vim syntax file for snort rules, with instructions on how to set vim
     up to use it.

and a new offering:

  2. libpcap-0.7.0329.tar.gz, README, size: 271518, version: 0.7.0329
     A libpcap version which supports MMAP mode on the linux kernel 2.4.x.

Very cool Phil!  I'm glad to see that's available.  Hell, it sounded nice even
to me, the non-linux type!

<joke>
Phil, are you burning something besides 'offerings'?  Beware of Linux Geeks
bearing gifts!  Iiiieeeee....  Run Away!
</joke>

[...snip...]

Given the dearth of response, I'm thinking that all you BSD geeks have
scared the linux weenie's so bad that they all switched their OS's.

Ahem?  Let's not forget the Solaris Bigots!  ;-)

But, that's ok.  I helped install a bsd system on a vax back in 1983 from
source provided by Purdue of all places.  This was when the Internet
road on top of IMP's and our local ethernets were connected by Ungermann
Bass broadband boxes intefaced with Sun 1 "routers".  And the lan was
1/2 inch yellow cable segments connected by little black bricks that you
could only figure out how they worked by XRay'n um.

Ah, those old Sun-1's, multibus cardcage, 2 megs of memory, 80 meg disk.
Those were the days.  I loved BSD.  But, ... I'm getting carried away.

It's amusing you mention a 'Sun 1 Router'....  Lets just say in a large
company who shall remain nameless, they _still_ have some of those in
production.  And I'll just note, it's amazing how quick you find out they are
using them by knocking out a power cable on one.....  :-/

Now, if we can just get you to work on those subject lines.....  ;-)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net