Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort with IPTables

From: Fyodor <fygrave () tigerteam net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:50:37 +0700

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 09:06:03AM -0600, David Lambert wrote:
I have very Little knowledge in this arena, so please excuse my ignorance,
but doesn't the -p (promiscuous) flag have something to do with whether or
not snort sees network traffic before an internal firewall? If this is just
bunk, then could someone please point me to an explanation (better than that
in the snort man page) of what the -p flag does?

Shortly, promiscious mode: if on --> listens to all the traffic in the
network, if off --> listens to only traffic which is destined to your
network interface.