Snort mailing list archives

Re: High-Performance Installation Reccomendations for Snort?

From: Jon Ottar Runde <jorunde () broadpark no>
Date: 29 Mar 2002 12:16:23 +0100

On to , 2002-03-28 at 19:26, Ryan Hill wrote:
All,

After spending quite some time with an extremely stable RH 7.2, snort,
mysql, apache and demarc combination with two sensors, I've decided that I'd
like to expand my sensor network to between 4 and 6 sensors (migrating to a
new machine) running on a low to moderately busy 10/100 switched network.

Because of this, I fear that Linux may not be able to keep up with the
overhead and stay running smoothly, so I'm soliciting opinions from the list
(in public or private) on your reccomendations for an optimum server
configuration.

Planned Hardware Specs
PIII 933
384 MB RAM
40 GB ATA 100 IDE
1 Intel NIC (on-board)
2 Quad Ethernet Port PCI Cards

Why do you think that linux may not be able to keep up?

I would try it first, if I were you. RH 7.2 w/updates (kernel 2.4.9-31)
is extremely stable here, -running snort and ntop on 4-5 100/switched
interfaces. I do have 2 CPUs and SCSI, and that might help with
performance....

Jon O