Snort mailing list archives

Re: Checking for "Frag Offset"

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:11:32 -0500

I suspect you're confusing two things:

1) the "content" rule for snort matches packet data, not headers, so if this text was in the header, a content: rule won't catch it anyway.

2) The literal text "Frag Offset" text should not be in the headers of fragmented packets. That's a human-readable decode of the binary header. They don't contain "port" "tcp" or any other such fluff either. The "Frag Offset" field of an IP header is bits 50 through 63 in the header, but that won't help you much.

I'd use the fragbits:M+ option of a snort rule to detect a fragmented packet (one which has the "More Fragments" bit set)

As for your other question about "don't fragment" use fragbits:D+

see the docs for more detail

http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.3.7