Snort mailing list archives

Re: RPC statdx exploit against DNS...

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:04:53 -0500

Looking at the rule, it will go off for any UDP or TCP packet containing a particularly odd "/bin/sh" type string..

Thus this is likely a "mislabeling" of an attack on bind (since statdx can be on any port this is a content-only rule)

rpc.rules:

alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"RPC EXPLOIT statdx"; content: "/bin|c74604|/sh";reference:arachnids,442; classtype:attempted-admin; sid:1282; rev:1;)

there's also a TCP version:
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"RPC EXPLOIT statdx"; flags: A+; content: "/bin|c74604|/sh";reference:arachnids,442; classtype:attempted-admin; sid:600; rev:1;)

I can see no reason for a tcp or udp packet sent to a DNS server to contain that string other than an attempted exploit.