Snort mailing list archives

no_promisc option

From: counter.spy () gmx de
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:19:34 +0100 (MET)

Short question, easy to answer (I hope):

Can the -p option (disable promisc mode) be used in order to run snort as a
NNIDS?

(NNIDS == Network Node Intrusion Detection System, in my understanding a
host IDS that uses stack-based attack recognition instead of system logs or
application logfiles)

If so, is there a way to install Snort as NNIDS without having to install
libpcap (for *nix) or winpcap (for Windoze boxes)?

The reason for this question is, I am playing around with the idea of using
snort as NNIDS on ISA Server or Exchange Server, but I don't like to have a
promiscuous mode device on a productive server.

Thanks!

Greetings,
D.Liesen

--