Snort mailing list archives

Re: in or out this is the problem!!

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:13:15 -0500

Both interfaces should see the packet, unless the router that routes between your DMZ and your LAN does not allow them to pass, in which case only the DMZ one will see the syn packet.

So if you want to see all syn's sent from the DMZ to the lan, watch on the DMZ interface. If you want to see all syns sent from the DMZ which actually get to the lan, watch on the lan interface.

If your router is properly configured only syn packets which are explicitly allowed should make it from the DMZ to the LAN. Otherwise you don't really have a very effective DMZ (one of the main points of having a DMZ is so that a compromise of a machine there won't easily lead to a compromise of your lan).

 I'd recommend adding rules to both snort sensors and comparing.