Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to install LibNetNT

From: SkatFiend () aol com
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:39:42 EST

Thanks for the response everyone. Here's my challenge of the day.

I am running Snort (from SiliconDefense) v1.8.3b92 MySQL/FlexResp, Demarc,
ACID on a Win2K server.

I have tried two different "LibNetNT.dll" and get two different errors.

1) Downloaded from "Eeye" - dated 05/30/2000 52kb
Upon Snort/Demarc startup, this one produces a snort.exe windows popup error
when snort is initiated:
The instruction at "0x100015dc" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory
could not be "read". However after "clicking" OK the first Snort dos box
closes, the second Snort dos box initiates and Snort appears to run ok (Have
not actually tried using the FlexResponse feature yet).

2) Downloaded from SiliconDefense - dated 11/16/2001 52kb
This one produces a windows popup error stating the dll can not be found. I
have tried various locations, and it appears as long as the LibNetNT.dll is
in the "Path" for the snort server it should work. In item number one I have
tested putting the LibNetNT.dll in both the Snort /bin directory, /WInNT
directory and /WinNT/System32 directory, ALL work. So I do not believe this
is a valid error message.

Can anyone shead some light on this or point me to a known good pre-compiled
LibNetNT.dll to download?

Thanks again, Cliff

If you use the Win32 installer and select the flexresp option
in the installer it will install libnetnt.dll along with snort,
and you will be able to use flexresp.

I assume this is for use with snort since you asked the question in
snort-users...

Otherwise libnetNT for use in a program by itself can
be gotten from the port of it at:

http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Tools/libnetnt.html

cheers,
--dr