Snort mailing list archives

Re: New User question.

From: "Frederick Garbrecht" <fgarbrecht () ecogchair org>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:57:02 -0500

Clear DayHi Jared,
Wow, what a great opportunity to experiment!  You could set up snort installations on all of your *nix variants and
win32 and report back to us.  Actually, this has been the subject of much discussion, and I think there are happy users
on all of these platforms.  I have had experiance with snort on win2K and on Linux (Red Hat 7.2); I prefer the Linux
setup because it has been very stable (snort 1.8.3) whereas the win2k installation had to be restarted on a regular
basis because of the tendency of snort to consume all of the processor cycles after a few days ( this was using the
win32 binary 1.8.3 from silicondefense) .  I believe that this problem has been seen on *nix as well, but it has not
been an issue for me; my current snort on linux box has been purring along happily for many weeks now without needing
any attention.
Good luck -
Fred