Snort mailing list archives

Re: Whatever OS We Use

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 19 Mar 2002 09:49:43 -0600

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 09:48, Erickson Brent W KPWA wrote:
[...]
1. Real time alerting (in many probes and attacks, Snort provides us an
early enough warning to take action provided we are paying attention)

2. Near real time or after action analysis. Give me the data content on
that suspicious alert e-mail message that I just received.
[...]
5. Snort logging all traffic for archive and analysis, two Snort
sniffers streaming the data to 2 NICs on a terabyte server with direct
crossover cables.
[...]

Brent,

how do you sift through all the masses of data? How do you determine
what traffic to investigate? Have you guys at the Navy created some best
practice documents (outlining how to deal with the traffic volume) that
can be shared with the public?

Also, what supplement IDS's are you using? (Is Shadow still used much?)

Regards,
Frank