Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie question, Diff between SnortSnarf & Acid

From: Leigh David Heyman <leigh () ai mit edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:02:14 -0500

Hi Ronald,
I'm not sure that there's any single source which compares the two, but in
short, they're very different due to the source of the data that they're
presenting.  SnortSnarf parses raw (binary or text) log/alert files from snort
into an html result.  ACID and Demarc are PHP front-ends which pull their data
from a relational database (mysql,postgresql, others?) backend, this relies on
using snort's database output plugin.

I guess it all depends on how complex your IDS needs are.

I think the best advice is to run them both and see what best meets your needs
(unless you don't want to install/run/configure a sql database, in which case,
just stay with SnortSnarf)

-Leigh