Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Packet Stats

From: Ashley Thomas <athomas () unity ncsu edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:53:05 -0500 (EST)

It is slightly out of sync but may i ask you this.
From the stats that you've attached Snort seems to be dropping a lot
of packets ?
Is the traffic volume very high ?

or is it something that i've overlooked.

thanks
ashley

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Matt Jonkman wrote:

We're working on our own homegrown snort back-end and want to really
concentrate on having detailed live and trending stats for each sensor.

Is there a way to get the stats that snort dumps when you ^C a non-daemon
instance when you are running as a daemon? If not is there another source of
the running stats we can grab and trend?

Thanks

Matt

I.E these stats:

===
Snort analyzed 4444 out of 6034 packets, dropping 1590(26.351%) packets

Breakdown by protocol:                Action Stats:
    TCP: 2494       (41.332%)         ALERTS: 0
    UDP: 108        (1.790%)          LOGGED: 0
   ICMP: 0          (0.000%)          PASSED: 0
    ARP: 0          (0.000%)
   IPv6: 0          (0.000%)
    IPX: 0          (0.000%)
  OTHER: 102        (1.690%)
DISCARD: 0          (0.000%)
===
Fragmentation Stats:
Fragmented IP Packets: 0          (0.000%)
    Fragment Trackers: 0
   Rebuilt IP Packets: 0
   Frag elements used: 0
Discarded(incomplete): 0