Snort mailing list archives

Re: WEB-IIS MISC forbidden

From: <bthaler () webstream net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:50:51 -0500

These alerts are generated when the web server responds to a request with a standard HTTP 403 error message.  The two
alerts go hand
in hand, and are usually seen together.  To answer your question, number 1 is correct.  This rule is triggered by a
response from
the web server, indicating that someone has tried to access a forbidden page.

In my experience, they are fairly harmless, and will just generate noise.  Perhaps some people find value in them, but
I tend to
consider them "paranoid" rules.  They can be triggered by anything from a bad link to a website, to a bad configuration
of the web
server (no default page in IIS for example).

Without going into too much detail, I'll just say that I'm snorting "a lot" of traffic, and I have yet to see this
alert triggered

Sincerely,

Brad T.
Technical Support
WebStream Internet Solutions

brad () webstream net
http://www.webstream.net
(888) 932-2333 Toll-Free
(954) 730-7127 Local
(954) 733-7067 Fax
(954) 730-7405 Help Desk

This communication contains proprietary business information and
may contain confidential information. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please immediately destroy, discard,
or erase this communication.