Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort-users digest, Vol 1 #1685 - 13 msgs

From: "Michael B. Easter" <mb.easter () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:31:50 -0500

spy,

I don't know where you got your prices, but I am really LOVING my software
hookup right about now. (Yes, He's legal and valid)

I, myself, have found that running snort on Linux or BSD is much easier, and
creates fewer problems than running it on Win32.  I think it is mostly just
a matter of what the user is comfortable with.  Many of the snort-users I
have met recently are learning about network security (IDS, Firewalls,
ACL's, etc.) as they go.  They are NetAdmins who have been tasked by a
Pointy-Haired Boss to "Make the company Network more secure".  Due to
workloads, or company policy, they are not in a position to learn a new
operating system such as Linux or BSD.

As you point out, the solution is, in the end, MUCH cheaper,  BUT!  in
management's eyes, it will cost them more in TRAINING EXPENSES, and will
make the position harder to fill should the NetAdmin leave or get fired for
playing Delta Force all day long.  In the Net Admins eyes, he may already
have too big of a workload, why add to it?

-adding my 2 cents

Mike E.

Here is a silly question:

Why do some users of snort choose to run snort on win32 platforms? Does
that not defeat ONE of the benefits of using snort?  That benefit being
free?

FREE
Snort on Solaris 8..........$FREE
Snort on Linux...............$FREE

NOT-FREE **
Snort on Windows 2000 Professional.........$319.00
Snort on Windows 2000 Server..................$999.00 w/5 CAL's

** You have paid for your Windows licenses, right?

I am not trying to advocate an OS war, but just making a suggestion that
it can be easier to convince 'some' management types when offering a
solution that costs nothing more than the hardware.

I know that most Win32 guys I have worked love to use Windows for
everything, and thats fine and dandy. But how many of you are actually
paying for all of your Windows licenses? Not many of them actually own
enought licenses to cover the number of installs. (i am not accusing,
just saying there is a cheaper alternative then paying hundreds of
dollars per snort box)

However, I assume that no one in the security industry is pirating any
Microsoft software...right?

Just my 2 cents,

--spy