Snort mailing list archives

Re: Need to log FULL packets

From: Junaidi Bin Sapari <junaidi () securecirt com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 06:04:06 +0800

On Thursday 14 March 2002 02:59, Matt Kettler wrote:

Snort is able to do tagging. This is based on the rule which is triggered.
Once a rule is triggered, all the traffic involving the source host is
logged. Below is one of my example, so just apply the same for which
particular rules you want.
(from web-iis.rules)
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $IIS_SERVERS 80 (msg:"WEB-IIS cmd.exe access";
flags: A+; content:"cmd.exe"; nocase; classtype:web-application-attack;
sid:1002; rev:2; tag: host, 300, packets, src;)

Well, first I'm wondering what version of snort you are running. Snort
1.9??? Erm, snort 1.8.4 isn't even in non beta yet as far as I can tell
(1.8.4 beta4 was released march 2). Is 1.9 what the CVS image tarballs call
themselves? If so, why are you using snort-current for production use?
(that's a development branch snapshot, which really could use a better name
on the website, the term "current" risks implying "current release").

  As far as switches go -X   (full dump including IP headers) or -d
(application layer only, no IP headers) should be all you need.

You claim the data looks like it is "cut off", since this is UDP we are
talking about, have you checked to make sure you're not only catching one
fragment of a multi-fragment UDP packet. Note that dumping the application
layer data like this will slow snort down enough that it becomes quite
likely that if a UDP packet gets fragmented you may miss some of the
following fragments while the first one is dumped.

If this is the case, you might make sure that the frag2 preprocessor is on
to defragment the UDP packet prior to passing it up and dumping it.