Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort+flexresp

From: "Bamm (Robert) Visscher" <rvisscher () saball com>
Date: 13 Mar 2002 10:47:33 -0600

If you did not observe a RST packet at all, then the rule you created
did not trigger correctly or at all. Once a packet matches a rule with a
resp: directive, the appropriate response packet (rst or ICMP) is going
to be sent. Whether or not the response will be effective, depends on
the accuracy of the snort crafted response packet(s).

FWIW, if you are trying to create a rule to kill HTTP connections on
detection of "cmd.exe" (or a content rule of any type in HTTP), then
forget it. It will rarely be effective.

Bammkkkk