Snort mailing list archives

snort weirdness / was inittab

From: Justin Ferguson <jnfergu () mainex1 asu edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:20:10 -0700

 Ok I wrote a letter the other day about problems trying to spawn snort out
of inittab and I got alot of help thank you, unfortunatly none of it worked
and after some playing I have found something that is strange, at least
imho.

I have one process of snort running so we do not interupt its 'snorting'

# ps -Aef | grep snort
root  1964     1 63 11:44:30 ?       17:18 /usr/local/bin/snort -N
-D -i eri1 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

sh -c exec is how a process is spawned from inittab.

# sh -c exec /usr/local/bin/snort -N  -i eri1 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
# ps -Aef | grep snort
root  1964     1 63 11:44:30 ?       17:21 /usr/local/bin/snort -N
-D -i eri1 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
#

Has anyone ever encountered this?? Any help would be appreciated.

J. Ferguson