Snort mailing list archives

RE: alert_syslog options?

From: "Wirth, Jeff" <WirthJe () DNB com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:58:03 -0500

Could someone point me to documentation of the four alert_syslog output
plugin options listed in the Snort Manual? They are listed below:

LOG_CONS
LOG_NDELAY
LOG_PERROR
LOG_PID

Check your systems "syslog" man page / documentation...

(FreeBSD..)

     LOG_CONS      If syslog() cannot pass the message to syslogd(8) it will
                   attempt to write the message to the console
                   (``/dev/console.'')

     LOG_NDELAY    Open the connection to syslogd(8) immediately.  Normally
                   the open is delayed until the first message is logged.
                   Useful for programs that need to manage the order in
which
                   file descriptors are allocated.

     LOG_PERROR    Write the message to standard error output as well to the
                   system log.

     LOG_PID       Log the process id with each message: useful for
identify-
                   ing instantiations of daemons.

- Jeff

Could someone point me to documentation of the four alert_syslog output
plugin options listed in the Snort Manual? They are listed below:

LOG_CONS
LOG_NDELAY
LOG_PERROR
LOG_PID

Thanks much!,
Ben

Ben Feinstein
  Software Development Engineer, R & D
  W: 678.585.7865 x6726 F: 770.645.8311 M: 678.772.4126
  8302 Dunwoody Pl., Suite 320, Atlanta, GA 30350 www.guardent.com