Snort mailing list archives

re: VERY simple 'virtual' honeypot

From: Wynn Fenwick <wfenwick () FHLSim com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 14:55:05 -0500

An excellent discussion... I'm learning a lot.

It seems to me that a honeypot is primarily a research tool, for analysis of stimulus/response and to study the
relationship between types of compound attacks and the threat level to which these compound attacks correlate. It's
easy to make that correlation with single, simple vulnerability exploits. When many small exploits of vulnerabilities
snowball into a complex attack, it's really hard. This is what Honeypots are good at linking together with the data
they provide.

Reasearch Honeypots are one of those things definitely in the "nice to have" for most mortal organizations unless
they are actively involved in security superhero R&D. Most organizations have enough trouble getting firewall rules
maintained, and staffing funded to maintain the preventative infrastructure, IMHO. I could see selling the idea of a
Labrea-ish Honeypot to make them skate in cheese a bit, but the cost/benefit would be very hard to prove to
management. It might increase the latency between a scan and a real attack in time for someone to react/prevent
against the attack more effectively, but how do you prove that in Powerpoint?

The stuff Marty is talking about doing is more of an tactical obfuscation tool - a safeguard which reduces the risk
of an outsider identifying the type of safeguard actually in place. Creating entropy in the reachablility profile
data of a network would simply obfuscate the network landscape from the outside. It's like publishing intentional
erroneous topographical maps, assuming the enemy would use that to create their battle plan, and no other intel they
gathered.

This works until the attacker knows that this information is bogus, and they then need use other sources of
information. You've simply told them "hey we're running a jammer here", and no one will trust the information gleaned
from an external network reachability profiler.

It will keep the kiddies busy...and increase the cost of the information to the attacker. As one client says "if
there is bang for the buck, let's do it"... low cost to us creating high cost to the attacker is a Good Thing.

I think this would be better as a separate tool rather than bound to my IDS, which I prefer to thnk of as a passive
I&W system. However, I can see implementing this and getting "bang for the buck", if I was ever going to implement
active response in my IDS.

Total donation: C$0.02